Thursday, April 7, 2011

Unexpected News

So, I’m trying to get back into the blogging world for many reasons. Funny thing is that the reason I stopped blogging is the same reason I’m starting again, infertility. It’s been a tough uphill battle for Ben and I for the past couple years. For those of you who don’t know, we’ve been struggling with the difficulty of infertility. If you haven’t gone through this, know that it sucks. There is no better way to put it. It SUCKS!

We have been ‘trying’ to conceive for about 3 years now. We’ve been seeing the reproductive endocrinologist(infertility doctor) for about a year and a half. In the past couple years we’ve tried conservative treatments of Clomid, progesterone supplements, etc. I’ve had surgery, and so has Ben. I’ve been poked, prodded and examined to no avail. Throughout all this, Ben and I have longed to be parents, to grow our family. We want to have children to love and nurture. So we started looking into adoption.

Then, we quickly realized just how costly adoption is. We are talking about anything from $18,000-$45,000 and up. It’s insane! We feel called to help and can’t! It’s so frustrating! So we decided to look into the foster-to-adopt option. This is where you adopt kids from from the CPS foster system, it’s less pricy but much more time consuming with lots of classes and hoops to jump through. We went to one class and quickly realized that we weren’t in the right place. It just didn’t feel right. Probably because the people who were in the classes with us, were obviously trying to get into the business of fostering children for the money. As sad as it sounds, it happens.

So, we’ve been kinda stuck. All we could do is rely on the fact that God provides what you NEED when you NEED it. Ben and I have been praying for an answer, for God to show us His will. We thought we found that answer when we last talked to our doctor about embryo adoption. We were just waiting for her program to get FDA approval(supposed to happen in April) then we would be adoptive parents and I would still get to experience pregnancy, the best of both worlds. But the big man upstairs had a different plan.

This past January I began to help out with our church’s high school youth group. This was something that I’ve wanted to do for awhile and just never did until this year. I’ve enjoyed the kids but they were always SO quiet in our small group discussions. Until two sunday’s ago. We were in the small group discussion a couple weeks ago when one girl started telling us about her friend who was pregnant and due soon and wanted to give the baby up for adoption. Trying to help, I asked if she had told her parents, the answer was no. And she hadn’t talked to any adoption agency or had any prenatal care. I told her that my husband and I may be interested. Not really thinking anything would happen.

The following Tuesday the teen mom started texting me. She let me know that she wanted to give her baby up for adoption because she wants her baby to be raised in a two parent household with two working parents, not a teenager in high school. She has such strength and I admire this young woman more than she knows.
She did finally tell her parents and they were very supportive. They helped her schedule her first prenatal appointments the next week. As we began to talk to this girl, things began to become very real. So I called and talked to her mom, just to let her know that we weren’t seeking her daughter out. And we weren’t creepy baby steelers. We told her( the grandma) our story and she chuckled. And quickly let us know that she totally understands our situation because she and her husband were in the very same situation about 20 years ago. You see, all of her six children were adopted, including the teen mom. You can’t tell me that God didn’t have a hand in this!!

So, I am blogging to get this off my chest and to keep people informed. The very scary thing about adoption is that nothing is final until the baby arrives. The mom can sign over her rights no sooner than 48 hours after the baby is born. So until then we wait...and pray. We truly feel like God has placed this girl in our lives for a very special reason. And we are so excited to finally become parents.

I will try to be better at updating this blog now that I have something to write about. We will know a lot more about the baby on friday when the birthmother has her first sonogram. Pending any disasters, we will be parents in a couple months.

If you could please pray for the beautiful teen mom who chose to give her baby life. Pray also for her family that they may find comfort and peace in her situation which is no doubt difficult for them to endure. Also pray that God shows us His will. He always provides and I can’t wait to see what he has in store for us. At this point I’m just along for the ride...

4 comments:

  1. Erin, I am so happy for you. Hope it all works out. I have struggled with secondary infertility the last three years. It always surprises me how many people I know who have had to struggle with this. I am so blessed that Luke was easy. Infertility is so hard. I can't imagine how much harder it would have been if I didn't have a child already. There have been days that I wished something like what you experienced (the adoption) would happen to us. I will be praying for you guys. Good luck. - Leslie Flores

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin! This is wonderful news!! I am so excited for you and praying that everything works out. I'm not on FB anymore (after today), so you HAVE to keep blogging so I can find out what happens. I know that you will make a fantastic mom... and, honestly, this has God's fingerprints all over it!!

    Leslie =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin & Ben,
    Wow! Best wishes to everyone involved...my husband and I walked that very same road 20+ years ago. Today we have a handsome 17-year old young man in our lives whose birthmother gave him and us the incredible gift of a life. The path wasn't always easy, but our open adoption has been the greatest thing for everyone involved...birthfamily, adoptive family, and most important, our precious son.

    And Ben, I have a picture of you somewhere holding our little boy who was maybe 2 at the time. We adopted Michael back in the days when your Mom and I worked together at the Women's Center.

    Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have NO words right now...Only tears....tears of joy....I am praying for you and Ben and EVERYONE involved...Please keep us updated as you can....

    ReplyDelete